Governor Holcomb has issued an Executive order requiring the wearing of face coverings in schools and on school grounds by all student and staff. Eastern Hancock has a supply of paper masks and cloth masks as well as clear plastic face shields. The Governor’s requirements are as follows:
- All students in Grade 3 and above and all adults must wear masks (or face shields) in all indoor spaces. Children in Kindergarten through 2nd grade will be required to wear face covering when transitioning in the hallways from one place to another and when requested by a staff member due to difficulty to social distance. These instances would be for short durations of time.
- All students in Grade 3 and above and all adults must wear masks (or face shields) in all outdoor spaces whenever it is not feasible to maintain six feet of social distancing from another person not in the same household.
- All students regardless of age and all adults must wear a mask while riding a school bus or any other school sponsored mode of transportation.
- These rules apply before, during, and after the school day as well at all school functions on or off school grounds and at all times on school premises.
- Certain exemptions may be made by the School Corporation to these requirements
- Any person with a medical condition, mental health condition, or disability which prevents wearing a face covering. (documentation needed) If you believe you qualify for this exemption please see your supervisor or principal.
- Any person who is deaf or hard of hearing, or communicating with a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication.
- Any person for whom wearing a mask would create a risk to the person related to their work, as determined by local, state, or federal regulators or workplace safety guidelines.
- Any person while giving a speech if the person can maintain six feet of social distancing.
- Face coverings are not required while eating or drinking.
- In any indoor classroom when all persons can maintain at least 6 feet of distance from each other.
- In any other space when all persons not of the same household can maintain at least 6 feet of distance from each other.
- In an indoor or outdoor space the instructor is exempt while he/she maintains 6 feet social distancing from all students.
- Students or staff may remove masks while engaged in strenuous physical activity.
- Face coverings may be removed during recess if social distancing is maintained.
David Pfaff, Superintendent